Hi! My name is Kristen Daukas – welcome to my little piece of the world. There is no rhyme or reason to this site… it’s just whatever floats my boat at the moment. Typically it’s about life with teen and tween-age daughters.
I post pretty regularly, so signing up for updates by email is the best way to get fresh news in your inbox!
Here is what this site is NOT:
- It’s not a blog about babies. Been there. Done that. No babies allowed to live in this house.
- It is not for the closed-minded or easily offended. I’m a very pragmatic person and if I think something’s not right, I’ll say it. You may not agree with me. That’s okay but remember – it’s my site, it’s my right to say what I want.
- It’s not a dedicated review and giveaway site. I will do them occasionally, but only if I think it’s something that will fit your needs and lifestyle. And mine. If I’m reviewing something, I already love it
Now that you’re up to date, here are some posts to get you going. These were the top 10 posts on this site in 2012 according to readers. I hope you enjoy them – I think they’ll give you a good idea on what I’m all about!
10. Hey Society – Get Your Opinions Off My Body - Nothing fires me up quicker than reading about body image and how normal sized women are considered “plus-sized”.
9. On Being a Ginger - The funny thing is that anytime I do a post on anything related to “gingers” it’s always popular. Maybe because we’re such a mystery?
8. White Lies, Bluffs and One Direction - Remember when your kids were little and you could get out of doing something by bluffing to them? Yeah.. that doesn’t work so well when they’re teens.
7. 24 - I’ll admit, this may have made it to the list because Google saw all of the Jack Bauer reference(s) but it was my reflection on the 24th consecutive day of writing in 2012. Pretty good reflections, if I do say so myself
6. Southern Cooking - In the South, if someone has a major event in their lives, we cook. And we cook a LOT. To us, food is a way to show that we care and sometimes words just aren’t enough.
5. 12 Guests of Christmas – My Nightmare Before Christmas - Man, y’all love to hate on that Elf on the Shelf. This Christmas, I did a “12 Guests of Christmas” series and this was the most popular of all the 12.
4. Beyond the Birds and the Bees - The one thing that occupies my mind the most with teen and tween girls is how to keep babies out of the house. In conversations with my parenting peers, I find that a lot of them are not having the conversations about sex. Stop it. Now. Or rather – START it now.
3. Time Heals All Wounds - I wrote this on the 4th anniversary of my dads passing. He passed away in 2008 and while it gets a little easier each year, we still miss him terribly.
2. Social Media Common Sense for Bloggers - It didn’t take me long once I got back into writing to notice that there are a LOT of bloggers who either weren’t utilizing social media to promote themselves or were just doing it all wrong. Of course, I had to chime in professionally.
1. A Birthday Message to My 14 Year Old Daughter – I’m honestly surprised this one was the most read post but in a way, not really. I think many parents struggle with the words to say to their kids once they’re teens.