It’s hard when you’re a family with two working spouses to not just put dinner on the table before the stroke of midnight, but also a dinner that isn’t created by punching buttons on a microwave or hearing the words “pull up to the 2nd window”. I’ve mentioned before that I try to plan out our dinners 2 weeks in advance. I find that by doing this, it saves us a ton of money at the Teeter. What happens when I don’t plan, is that the Rooster looks up from his work at 4pm and says “hhhmmm.. what should I make for dinner?”. This question is almost followed by him going to the kitchen, realizing he hadn’t pulled anything from the freezer and then heading to the store to buy what he needs to make dinner. No kidding – by planning our menus out, it cuts our grocery bill in half.
I am all for trying things that help shorten the cooking time without sacrificing taste, so when I was asked to check out the new line of Recipe Starters from Progresso I said “absolutely!”. I received a package that included 2 cans of Recipe Starters from their new line, a baking dish, a really cool sauce chef’s spatula (I hate how my big ones always get stuck in the can..), some measuring cups and a recipe booklet that gave you a recipe to try with each of the sauces. The 2 sauces that I received were Creamy Roasted Garlic and Creamy Three Cheese. For this post, I opted to use the Roasted Garlic recipe that used chicken.
The recipe was simple to follow and the result was a great chicken dish that everyone loved. The only thing that I noticed was that it was a bit salty, but that’s to be expected with a canned soup or sauce. Hopefully they’ll come out with a low-sodium version soon. I still have my Creamy Three Cheese that I plan on using soon… the suggested recipe for that one is for cheesy, bacon macaroni. YUM-LLO!
Here is a description for the sauces they have available right now:
- Creamy Parmesan Basil: This creamy, full-bodied and indulgent sauce that was inspired by alfredo and creamy pesto sauces can be used to make dishes such as Crispy Garlic-Parmesan Chicken, Creamy Chicken Alfredo, Basil Chicken Ravioli Carbonara and Basil Chicken Thai Noodle
- Creamy Roasted Garlic with Chicken Stock: With caramelized, roasted chicken broth, garlic and a touch of cream, this stock is perfect for dishes such as Creamy Lemon Chicken, Chicken Pot Pie and Chicken Enchiladas
- Fire Roasted Tomato: A medium-thick tomato sauce, accompanied by flavors of roasted, caramelized tomatoes, oregano and bell peppers, which can be used as a great way to begin creating Pulled Chicken Sandwiches, Easy Weeknight Chicken Parmesan, Cheese-stuffed Mini Meat Loaves and Mole Tacos
- Creamy Portabella Mushroom: Creamy and highly indulgent, this smooth sauce is rich with sautéed Portabella mushrooms, giving you any easy way to start delicious dishes like Easy Weeknight Beef Stroganoff, Steak and Mushroom Sandwich and Tetrazzini
- Creamy Three Cheese: Rich and creamy with a blend of yellow and white cheeses, and a savory background of chicken stock, onion, garlic and cracked pepper, this is a great way to satisfy cheese lovers with Easy Weeknight Bacon Mac & Cheese, Twice-Baked Potato Pizza and Cheesy Egg Breakfast Tacos
If you’d like to try out the new Progresso Recipe Starters, click here for a coupon! In addition to that, the kind folks at Progresso have an extra gift pack for one of you! Your gift pack includes:
- Two cans of Progresso Recipe Starters
- $10 Gift Card to purchase your recipe ingredients
- Progresso Recipe Starters recipe book, including 5 recipes to get you started
- Baking dish
- Measuring Cups
- Sauce Scraper
Are you raising a teen or a tween? Join the conversation over at Ten to Twenty Parenting!
Disclaimer: While the information, products and Progresso™ Recipe Starters™ gift packs were provided by Progresso through MyBlogSpark, the opinions are my own.